Version 0.36 now available:
- Added command-line option to do “real” MHz detection (raw result is returned without any type of user-friendly normalization). Warning, this has the potential to return some pretty wacky results since MHz detection is not an exact science; use only if TOPBENCH consistently mis-reports MHz by orders of magnitude or something. Besides, you should be fixing the value before committing it to the database anyway!)
- Added search-by-number jumps in the browser interface
- Bugfix: Importing numeric values from a text file with trailing spaces after the value resulted in a value of 0
- Restructured a few aspects of TOPBENCH so that there would be more free memory when debugging in the Turbo Pascal IDE
- Added TOPBENCH.TXT as super-quick documentation to go into the .zip file
V0.35 has the following changes:
- Recompiled stub so it has the new measurement wrapper
- Added v86 check (and command-line to override)
- Enhanced /i so that it also spits out usec timings
- Added [letter] to jump to next system that starts with that letter in the browsing interface
- Add command-line option to work with a different database file.
- Added some small “special effects” if working on a color monitor (with command-line option to override)
I found a way to work around 8254 (and clones) bugs that sometimes return 65535 if an interrupt occurs while trying to read values, so with that, I’d say that TOPBENCH is now officially a beta. Woohoo! Head to the Downloads area to snag it.
I created a reliable distance function, so the realtime benchmarking is fully functional. This is the feature freeze beta release — head on over to the downloads page to grab it (and you can also view the source as well at github).
After a long coding session, the full tool is now in a state that I feel comfortable to release for testing. Head over to the downloads section to grab it.
After resuming coding, I’ve gotten as far as datastructure handling, a method of comparing systems against each other that is reliable, and data/file handling routines. I had forgotten how it is simultaneously fun and irritating to have to code every single thing yourself. Need to manage an in-memory database? Brush up on your balanced binary tree knowledge from college. Need to manipulate .INI files or export to .CSV? Guess what, you’re writing all that drudgery yourself. Ugh.
In any case, I’ve got a console/text-only utility that can do all of the above, so I was able to import all 80+ contributed system entries into a single database, and it’s available on the Downloads page.
The next major chunks for me to write are the realtime benchmark/display portion and the ability to delete and edit systems in the database. After that’s done, all it needs is a halfway-decent interface, but that comes last.
I’ve begun development on the main utility, finally. I have eschewed any hopes of becoming a Turbo Vision master in less than a few months and will just throw a quick’n’dirty interface together to Get The Tool Out There. It will have full functionality, just not be as elegant behind the scenes and pretty in front of them. More in a few days.